Inter Milan have made an official offer for Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, club’s sporting director Piero Ausilio has confirmed.
Lukaku has been Antonio Conte’s top priority at San Siro after failing to sign him at Chelsea.
The Belgian has reciprocated the same admiration for Conte labelling him as the best coach in the world.
Manchester United have told Inter Milan they have to find £75m or they can forget about signing Romelu Lukaku.
(📝 The Sun) pic.twitter.com/S7P1BhFNPE
— Jollof Sports (@JollofSports) 12 July 2019
“I am a big Serie A fan,” he said. “Those close to me know that I have always wanted to play in the English league and in the Italian one, I love Italy.
“The transfer of [Cristiano] Ronaldo, the Italian league is now coming back. Now Antonio Conte going to Inter Milan, which is really good because he is, to me, the best manager in the world.
“You know I’m not somebody who likes to talk about my personal relationship with managers, but I’m a Manchester United player.” he told Mediaset in an interview last month.
Lukaku is said to have agreed to terms with the Nerazzurri some time back and the only stumbling block in the move was the two clubs not reaching an agreement on a transfer fee.
United are looking to recoup the £75m they paid two seasons back whilst Inter are haggling around a loan move to dodge past FIFA’s financial fair play policies.
Amid all speculations, Inter’s Sporting director Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio met with United’s hierarchy to discuss the financial side of things.
“It was an official approach between two important clubs. We’ll see what happens. All the players we’re following are targets we’ve agreed with Antonio Conte. We want to satisfy his request within certain financial parameters.”
He was quoted saying by Sky Sports after the meet.
Lukaku’s missed United’s training sessions on Thursday afternoon after undergoing some rehab work and will be available for selection on Saturday’s friendly against Perth Glory.